1.06.2010

Passion 2010: reflections (part one)

By:Mandy
Exhausted, but refreshed! That is how I would describe myself right now after serving as a volunteer at the Passion 2010 conference. This was a 4-day conference for 18-25 year olds in Atlanta. More than 22,000 students gathered together to praise God, learn His truth, and see how the Lord would use their lives for Him.

Brian and I both have been impacted by the Passion ministry in years past. I went to a gathering called "One Day" in 2000 where thousands of college students joined together to praise God outside Memphis. What I heard there from John Piper, Beth Moore and Louie Giglio changed my life. Being with that many Christians my age also had a phenomenal impact on me. It was the start of God waking me up to what it means to really live for Him.

Because of the way Passion has "given" to us, we decided to give a little of our time and energy to help the movement. At first, to be honest, I was more excited about a free pass to see Piper, hear David Crowder lead worship live, and see all these students come together in one place. Soon after we got there, though, God really woke me up (thankfully). I saw not just a cool conference and amazing speakers and worship leaders around me, but the Body of Christ coming together. I was privileged to serve in some small way. I was also concerned with what I would be able to do being over 8 months pregnant. My feet swelled up in no time and I had to take many sit-down breaks, but I kept thinking "where else would I rather be?!"

One girl from our "community group" (a break-out of about 1000 students) put her faith in Christ for the first time this weekend. She shared with us how before this conference she had nearly taken her life and lived in deep depression. What a joy to see a new sister in Christ! Many other students came up and hugged me, thanking me for volunteering. They spoke of how God had showed them something "mind-blowing" during the last session or how they were encouraged just to be around other Believers.

For us personally, I think we both came away with more of a passion for Jesus Christ...to serve Him in our local church and community. We brainstormed about ways to serve others and about our future in missions. The calling I had worried that was waning is still there! We both are more confident that the Lord is using us here to prepare us for serving Him internationally to preach Christ where He is not known.

There is much more to tell...of towels, socks, worship music, and art...of money raised and good coffee. It will all make sense soon, but I'm already losing my way with words as I try to express something so amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such a wonderful and eye-opening (and soul opening) experience, honey. I would love to hear more about it sometime, maybe when you are rested a bit. I would much rather listen to you tell me about it versus reading about it. Of course, sharing thoughts over coffee in a small coffee shop (decaf for you, of course) would be optimal, but I will settle for talking on our cells over our own beverages of choice. Who knows? Maybe Alex can get my webcam/laptop skyped before I leave for Florida?

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...