1.03.2015

When Helping Hurts

This post is not about that book, although I like it and it's very helpful for this context. It's about a certain two year old. It's an open-letter prayer of sorts, for her and MYSELF!

Molly, you are such a little helper. Almost to a fault...but as a two-year old, you are just figuring this out. You want to help me cook. You want to open the door. You want to put on your own shoes, take off your own shirt, run and get a toy for Isabella, tell Daddy it's dinner time...and you want to do it "MYSELF!".

Most of these things are actually really helpful and good. But sometimes, I open the door, Lydia beats you to the toy-basket and you just can't get your shoes on. You are determined to help and when you can't...Molly meltdown.

I know...you're two. So, here's what I pray for you. I pray you would be a helper, a selfless type of go-getter, a servant, a good friend, wife, sister and daughter who loves to serve the church, community, home, and others. I pray God shows you how to use your gifts for His kingdom and gives you opportunities to do so.

And when He doesn't (or it seems like He isn't) and you don't get to help the way you wanted to, or the way you "always get to", or in the way you thought was best for everyone; I pray you turn to the Lord. And I mean that practically, realistically, wholly and purposefully. I know, at age 20, you probably won't be prone to throw yourself on the ground and scream "MYSELF!"...but you might feel that frustration, that pride, hurt, injustice even. After a while of that you may not want to be helpful after all. It may be too hard or hurtful or boring.

I get that, Molly.

You may look like Daddy, but you are showing my personality. Sorry kiddo. I have used the "it's just a waste of my gifts" line. I have gotten frustrated watching others do a sub-par-helper job. I could have helped so much better! I want to throw myself on the ground when my help goes unnoticed, unappreciated and maybe (maybe?!) isn't so helpful after all. I have found ways to serve selfishly.

I pray that as you grow you would grow in your desire to serve, but more so in a desire to be used by the Lord. When things break down (and maybe you do too) you wouldn't just "get back out there and serve some more!". I pray you would humbly ask the Lord where He would have you? In the kitchen? Up front? Serving in the nursery? Writing? Reading stories to three little girls in India? Where will He use you? Where will He bring joy? I ask our Great God to mold you to be more like His plans for you.

A helper suitable for Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...