1.14.2011

Trip Cancelled...

What is the best way to tell some shocking, confusing, and somewhat embarrassing news these days? Have a blog or Facebook and post all your confessions on it. So, here we are... in Cartersville. As many of you know, we should be in South Asia (Ind*a) right now. But, there was one major oversight that we, and everybody else, somehow missed. To be in this country, we need to have visas and we didn't. Through all of our international travels (Mandy - all around Europe; Brian - South America; both - Thailand), we have never had to have visas. It wasn't even a consideration.

So, yesterday, we had our bags packed, said our good-byes to Lydia in grandma's arms, and my dad drove us to the airport in the ice weather. We walked up to the baggage/ticket claim man. We are laughing and having a good time. We just heard that we can check our friend's bags which are heavy through the whole flight. This was great because we had a long layover in Chicago. There we could go out the city and get some famous deep-dish pizza. Then, the baggage/ticket guy said, "Now, can I see your visas?" We said we don't have visas and then he said "you can't go." This is the truth. We felt like we were punch in the gut, breathless, turned upside/down and inside/out.

We finally made it back to Cartersville (without Lydia - we left her at the grandparents for a couple of days) and began talking to other missionaries (thanks, John and Sue), people in the missionary headquarters (thanks, Bobbi Jo), and eventually our team leader (thanks, Cartee). We learned that visa problems happen a lot with this country. Through all this, we are still moving forward and are looking at a trip in May, Lord willing.


2 comments:

  1. Mandy and Brian, I am so sorry. I'm crying as I read this, as I have with some of your other recent blog posts. We will continue to lift the Stocks up in prayer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your trip didn't work out! We will keep praying that you get to go again and just remember, the Lord has His reasons for everything. For some reason, maybe you are meant to go in May instead! God has a plan.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...