1.25.2011

Reading Material

I (Mandy) spent a lot of time reading this year...and I have Lydia to thank. She is newly weaned, but in 2010 I spent many many hours nursing her. And what do you do when you don't have TV? What do you do to keep yourself awake (and therefore not drop the baby) at 3 am. You read, well, at least I do. So, for fun I kept a list of my 2010 reading list...for your reading pleasure!

1. Feminine Appeal (again): great book for wives and moms

2. Shopping for Time: also by Carolyn Mahaney. Coupled this with her "girl talk" blog and got some good ideas for personal retreats and stewardship

3. The Bruised Reed: what's a year without a Puritan book?

4. Prodigal God
5. Counterfeit Gods: both of these are by Tim Keller. I really recommend #4. #5 is good, but wasn't as applicable to me at the time

6. Mimosa: Amy Carmichael's memoir...it was OK...

7. Orthodoxy (GK Chesterton): He rants about the Reformation a bit (he's Catholic) but has some really good thoughts about God. Worth reading slowly

8. Reflections on the Psalms (CS Lewis): should have done this while studying the Psalter...

9. Grace (Spurgeon): quotable

10. Future Grace (Piper): Good...need to read it again though

11. The Introvert Advantage: I learned a lot about my husband and most of my good friends. For some reason I (extrovert-extreme) have been blessed with introverts around me that I don't understand. This book is great...not Christian, but good sociology.

12. Shepherding a Child's Heart: Have a feeling this will be a yearly read

13. The Cross and Christian Ministry (DA Carson): very good. I like how Carson writes.

14. Jesus: Made in America
15. Why We Love the Church
16. Same Kind of Different as Me: I was on a popular Christian reading kick, but #16 was worth it. It's a story of two friends (true story) and basically their intertwined testimonies. Well-written.

17. Reason for God: Keller's apologetic manual of sorts...really helpful

18. Freakonomics: hilarious and interesting

19. Dug Down Deep: Joshua Harris' book that's not about dating. I liked the promos for this book better than the book itself...although it wasn't bad.

20. When Helping Hurts: READ THIS...enough said

21. A Lesson Before Dying: Good ol' English class fiction
22. Wise Blood: Really like Flannery O'Connor

23. Super-Freakonomics: not as good as the prequel, but worth a read

24. Francis Schaeffer's Work Vol. 1: I plan to read all his works, but it may take a while

25. Nine Lives: a survey of interesting biographies of Indians revolving around faith. If you are interested in India or other kinda-crazy religions read this book

26. The Lacuna
27. The Bean Trees: Barbara Kingsolver (#26, #27) is awesome. Still her best is the "poisonwood bible" but both of these are good stories

28. Heaven (Alcorn): a great great book on the theology of where we will live someday and where some will really want to be

29-350: Kids' books read to Lydia. I'm just estimating here!

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to add "Instructing a Child's Heart" to #12...in that book, he sort of puts into action what he talks about in the "Shepherding" book. Thanks for posting this list, I am going to check out a few of these.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE reading lists, they're like candy to me! Makes me want to post mine from last year...not sure if I'll get around to it, but maybe...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...