4.25.2010

My Birthday by the Hours

It is a Saturday morning around 7:15 a.m. Normally, I would have been up by now busy with something. I am a morning person so I enjoy the mornings, but this today I was still in bed. Then, Lydia woke up so I decided to get up. As I was getting up, I was stopped by my lovely wife to get back in bed for a moment. She then got up and instructed me on my first birthday task. Late last night (3ish in the morning), Mandy had hid 29 strips of paper around the house each telling a reason why she loved me. I then leaped to my feet and started the search. Each reason was special to me. My favorite funny ones were that "I didn't dress like a normal presbytery pastor with a cell phone holster on my belt loop" and "My deep voice" because Mandy put it on our little subwoofer for our sound system.

Around 8:30 a.m Mandy made breakfast happily. An old-fashioned breakfast plate of eggs, grits, and bacon was served. It was delicious. The rest of the morning for us consisted in sitting around the house and playing with Lydia. For me, I went for a good run in between storm cells at 10:30 a.m.


At roughly 1:00, the first person arrived at our house, my brother David. Uncle David came from Athens, Ga. We got to catch up with him on what is going on and he got to play with Lydia some. Next at 1:30ish, Mandy's parents drove up. They came from Tampa, Fl. This sounds like a surprise birthday party but it wasn't. We were expecting them. Both David and Alex didn't eat, so Mandy fixed them leftover brats with sauerkraut. Five minutes later, my parents with my sister roll up in their RV. Whenever somebody comes to visit you in a RV, the proper verb is that they "rolled up" to your place. So, here we were all in our little town home. Let's just say the volume level rose by a couple thousand notches. We were all catching up with everybody and passing around Lydia (who did GREAT!). I loved it. I love having people, especially family, over at our house. I love watching my sister and brother play with Lydia. I am very thankful they came over... which means much to Mandy and I.


I loved also watching my dad and Alex play with Lydia as well. As you see in the picture, I think they were enjoying it as well. The grandmas were great as grandmas always are! Bringing gifts for their precious granddaughter, they showered Lydia with love. Each of them shined as they brought gifts which express themselves. Mandy's mom continued to build Lydia's collection of knitted-stuffed animals. She is a talented knitter (is that they way you say it?). The new addition is a very creative and colorful rabbit. My mom, who loves puppets and is a professional puppeteer, brought over a bag full of hand puppets. Lydia was mesmerized by her three-minute puppet show.


The small hand on the clock turned five o'clock which means dinner time! And what a dinner it was! Compliments of my dad and mom, they brought some of the best, meatiest, and smoke-flavored ribs that I have ever had. Plus, my mom's potato salad and broccoli which are tasty enough by themselves. It was a great feast with lots and lots of napkins.

After dinner, with full stomachs needing not to sit any longer in the house, we braved the weather and played bocce ball. Three teams all battling it out to see who could get their colored ball the closest to tiny white ball. The first game the teams were 1) my dad and me; 2) my brother and my mom, and 3) Mandy and Alex. This game was a landslide win by my dad and me. Kelly, my sister, was the "backstop" and did save a ball from going down into a storm drain without losing her drink in her hand. Impressive. The second game the teams stayed the same except Kelly switched with Mandy. This game my brother and my mom won, just barely. On a side note, Mandy's mom, Barbara, was inside having the most horrible job of watching and holding Lydia, cooing and laughing and smiling. It is what all Nanas just dislike about their role. :-)

The last game, which we kept the same teams, had a little punch to it. That is, we played for a one dollar per person. The stakes were raised and so was the competition. Each team played their hearts out and tossed till their wrist hurt. It was back and forth. Neck and neck. The rain came but the game went on. A fight for the end and in the end, there was only one winner. My dad and I pulled it out with a 15-12-11 victory. Lydia cheered and we all changed into something drier. It was fun.

The evening was coming to a close. 7:30ish the candles were lit and the family sung the "Happy Birthday Song". Cake and ice cream were devoured. After the cake, some went to bed while others played a game of dice called "Farkle". It was a great way to end and a wonderful day. I begin my 29th year with a great start. May God's grace abound all the more for another year. Thank you Lord for the past 29 years of grace which led me here, and thank You for the future grace I know You have promised. As the famous hymn, Amazing Grace, says,

"Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home."

2 comments:

  1. Brian--it was such a blessing to spend the day with you and your family yesterday. I love your blog postings--I hope you and Mandy are saving them somewhere. You both have quite the knack for writing.

    Love you tons.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaww! I missed the puppet show:<
    Thanks for hosting

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...