2.23.2010

Cloth Diapers: in the beginning...

Yesterday I received my awaited shipment of 21 cloth diapers from "Cotton Babies". Yes, we decided to go with cloth. It's very popular right now with all the "green" environmentally responsible living. Not that I don't care about the earth, but the primary reason we went with cloth was for the financial aspect.

Here's the math if you are interested. For 21 diapers I spent $350. I got the "Bum Genius 3.0", which yes, I know, sounds like a computer program...but it's an all-in-one one-size diaper. Basically that means that it adjusts (with snaps) as your baby grows and you don't have multiple parts...it's all-in-one. No pinning or waterproof pants required. Anyways, I estimate that for disposable diapers one would spend about $10 a week. Multiply $10/week for 52 weeks and that's $520/year. Hopefully she will be potty-trained around 2 years old, so that's about $1000 for her life of diapers. Now, multiply THAT by 3 kids (which we pray God will bless us with) and you've got $3000.

Of course, you have to factor in wipes (I'm using cloth wipes) and trash bags into the disposable number. You've also got to factor in laundry cost into the cloth number. But anyway you slice it, $350 is much smaller than $3000 (as you can use the cloth diapers for each kid). Another thing you have to factor in to the cloth consideration is TIME. I will be doing a load of diapers every other day...and yes, it is a bit gross. I realize that alone would drive many no-less-godly or domestic moms crazy. But as for me, I kind of enjoy the challenge of frugality...plus cloth diapers are pretty cute. Really.

So, take this post not as a condemnation against all you disposable diaper users. I say, do what will keep you sane and fits into your life. It's your kid, your time and your money...well, actually it's all God's, but I don't think there is a verse in the Bible about cloth diapers (Jesus in swaddling cloths??). Maybe the Proverbs 31 woman would have used disposables if they were offered to her. Who knows? I simply pray for all the moms I know, that they would be good stewards and responsible for what God has called them to do at home. Whether that's hundreds of loads of laundry or hundreds of trips to the trashcan....may God bless it! :)

3 comments:

  1. Mandy--I love you SO much! I love your stories and humor and love of life. I cannot wait to see you next weekend. But on the diapers...what if you have twins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for cloth! I assume you already read the post on my blog, but we love our BG 3.0', although I am worried Eleanor is growing out of them at 7 months... Instead of trash bags, I recommend getting two wet bags. You just wash them when you wash the diapers. I like Mommy's Touch, but there are lots of brands. Check ebay and amazon for good deals. Yes, I'm also one of those people who uses canvas bags at the grocery store to avoid using plastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Employ america buy desposable diapers. What do you have against the american worker, who will be left to buy america diapers. Your diapers might have been made by chinese children working in a sweat shop. This plug was made by american diaper workers and in no way condones the use of diapers period. no diaper is a good diaper it's more natural. If you chose to do this recondmend tile floors. Alex

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...