2.27.2010

1997 - 2010

In this life, you must learn to say "good-bye". It is never easy. Loss in this life is hard. There is a sadness in my heart and my legs. Today is one of those days. Sometimes words are hard to find so if you can bear with me through this post, I would appreciate it.

Today, I had to say "good-bye" to my first pair of running shorts. They were the perfect running shorts. Baggy, but not too baggy. Short, but not too short. A perfect blue with a black drawstring. You can see the picture below. I started running in the tenth grade of high school. This pair of shorts have been with me through it all. Thousands and thousands of miles through the woods and on the roads. Running on my the high school and collegiate teams. Training for road races even a marathon. Oh, how I will miss these shorts.

I have been considering getting rid of them for a while. They have been falling apart for sometime. But, as any true runner knows, it is so hard to find a good pair of running shorts that are short and loose.

I considered calling my long-time running partner, Zack, to have a memorial service for them. But, what would you do at such a memorial? Cry? Yes. Mourn? For days. But, what about the shorts? Burn them? I couldn't. Bury them? Its not the best for the environment. Put them in a shadow box from Hobby Lobby? That's a little weird. No, I couldn't. So, I write this blog post and hire a "hitwoman" to do my dirty work and throw them away (aka - Mandy, who is very happy that they are gone... again, they were falling apart and they had a particular smell to them).

So I say, "Happy Trails, faithful blue!" I will continue on without you and go on running for another thousand miles, Lord willing and 'da creek don't rise too high. :-)

3 comments:

  1. A sad day indeed. This reminds me of my first running t-shirt. It was bought in 1996 specifically for running. A plain gray t-shirt with a converse logo on the front. Now it has more holes on the shoulders than it does fabric but I keep trying to stretch its life as I can't bear to throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the LORD! I know Mandy is jumping with joy to send these shorts to their final resting place in the Cartersville landfill. I am very proud of you Brian...it was a very brave thing you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian - You are even weirder than I thought.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...