3.02.2014

Picture of the Week: Save your butter for pancakes.

Here's the setup: 
That morning we had visited a park outside the city. Just like every park here it had a few idols and temples. The main one was a bull statue. Morning worshipers had covered it with ghee (purified butter) and then stuck money to it. Lydia and I talked about what a waste of butter that was. 
Also important to the story: 
We have this pair of magnetic dress up dolls from my dad. Their names are Abby and Emma. Frequently (and I do mean frequently) Lydia and I play with them. We are usually Abby and Emma's moms and they have playdates, go to the park, etc. Mostly, it involves changing their outfits. On this particular occasion I am Abby's mom and Lydia is Emma's. They are having a lovely playdate.  

And the story: 
Emma [played by Lydia]: Would you like to come to church with us?
Abby [played by me]: No. We can't. Our family worships pigeons. 
Emma's Mom [also played by Lydia]: No!! You can't do that. Jesus is the real God. 
Abby's Mom [me]: What?! That's not true. We worship a pigeon statue and put butter on it. It's great. 
EM: Don't do that. Save your butter for pancakes. Come, worship Jesus.
AM: Why?
EM: Well, He loves you and cares for you. He's really powerful. And you don't have to put butter on Him.
[by now I have caught on that this is a fantastic teaching moment and I am playing along seeing what Lydia knows...it's amazing]
AM: oh, well that sounds nice but aren't my pigeons gods?
EM: No. Pigeons are not gods. They are birds. God made them. 
AM: So, I can come to your church and learn about Jesus?
EM: Yes, there is a sermon, singing songs and sometimes there is kids' time. We have chai and samosas too. 
AM: Really?
EM: Yes, and if you believe in Jesus you get to go to Heaven.
AM: Heaven? What's that like?
EM: It has shiny streets and lots of food that God makes...only good food. 
AM: Is there butter?
EM: Yes, but we can eat it. And Jesus is there and He can snuggle you. But you have to wait till you die.
AM: Oh, so when I die I can go to heaven?
EM: Yep. Or Hell. That's for pretend-god-believers. 
AM: What's that like?
EM: It's sad. The sun goes down there. It's very dark and sad. 
AM: Wow. Well, Heaven and Jesus sound a lot better. Can I come to church with you?
EM: Sure! 
AM: What am I gonna do with all this butter though?
EM: Let's make pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...