3.18.2014

Picture of the Week: She Came in through the Bathroom Window

Two nights ago, Brian and I brutally (and gleefully) killed 6 mosquitoes hanging out in our apartment. 


Since moving here we have acquired Mr. Miagi swat reflexes, a bug-zapper racket (best Father's Day present ever!) and a joyful vengeance for mosquito-death. 

We do not have A/C so we keep our windows open. Yes, we have screens. But then there's the bathroom window situation. And honestly, it kinda hurts my heart to show this picture here. This is a freshly-cleaned (yes) window-vent in our bathroom. [When my mom visited here her need-to-clean instincts drove her to scrub this vent...scrub with no avail...it just always looks dirty. That's how many things are here.] There is no way to seal these completely. I mean, I guess duct-tape could work, but then...you have no vent. 

On the other side of those grimy slates is a large tunnel-like vent shared by all in the building. Where does it vent? The parking garage of course! And in that parking garage is a little canal of standing water. Standing water + tropical climate = little hatching dengue-fever-carrying mosquitoes just looking for a vertical tunnel, unsealed vents and dinner. 

So, here's to nightly mosquito-hunts, racket in hand and vengeance in our hearts! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...