6.04.2012

Books for May: Government, Servanthood, True Revival, and the Prosperity Gospel

How Christians Should Relate to Government by Wayne Grudem
My normal response to people about politics is "I'm not policital." Well, really that is not possible. My answer should be, "I really haven't taken the time to seriously think about a comprehensive and coherent understanding of my view of government and politics." As the Presidential elections are coming soon, I thought what better time than to start now. So, I picked up this little introduction to being formulating my view. The short work (81 pages) has been pulled from the author's large work, Politics (625 pages). Grudem seeks to answer the title of his work. He does so by first presenting five wrong ways which Christians have used in the past and then presents a better solution (Christians should influence the government) to the posed question. Overall, the book was persuasive and helpful. I give the book a 7 out of 10.

Servanthood as Worship by Nate Palmer
Ever been burnout serving at church? That is an easy answer. Drawing from experience of burnout, author Nate Palmer gives us a helpful book to promote serving at the church as worship to God. The book seeks to shape the reader's mind and heart with the theological truth and motivations to serve for the long haul. Serving from salvation that God has provided in Christ, not for it, is the key to proper service. The book is short (108 pages) and helpful in promoting a vision of servanthood in the local church written for church members. I could see pastors giving this book as a handbook to their flock. I give the book a 8 out of 10.



Dynamics of Spiritual Life by Richard Lovelace
One year. That is how long it took me to read this book. I started the book on our vision trip to South Asia, read about halfway through it, and then, other needs came up. So, this month, I set a goal to finish and read it. The book is long (435 pages) and dense. Richard Lovelace gives a history of spiritual renewals in light of biblical models. It gathers and recounts the spiritual awakenings from the past. His analysis is grounded in Jonathan Edward's writings on revival. The book seems more to tell what happened (Lovelace is a church historian) than solve or pose solutions. Honestly, I need to read much of it again. I give the book 8 of of 10.



Health, Wealth, & Happiness by David W. Jones & Russell S. Woodbridge
"Accept God and He will bless you--because you deserve it!" This is the message of the Prosperity Gospel and it is rampant through the American church and has been exported all over the world especially to the country were we are missionaries. However, it is no gospel at all. Jones and Woodbridge expose this false gospel for all of what it is worth. This is one of the clearest and straight forward books I have ever read. It presents where (theologically) the prosperity gospel came from, clearly articulates its beliefs and accurate represents the opponents of this false gospel. The book is well written and reads quickly (165 reading pages). I give the book 9 of out 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...