7.15.2010

Run a Race (Part 2)


2) Make a goal for the race.
The wise man in the book of Proverbs plans his life (Prov. 21:5). He sets goals to achieve and trust the Lord for the results (Prov. 16:3). The wise runner should do the same. Simple and attainable goals should be made for your race. This will shape your training and motivate you to get out and run on those hot, summer days or cold, winter nights.

If you aim at nothing, you will receive nothing in return. In your preparation, aim at something. For a beginner, this could be running the whole race without walking. You goal could be a certain time or place in the race. It could even be beating a spouse, friend, or co-worker (Personally, this is my greatest motivator!).

In planning your goals, we need to look at three areas:
a) Assess your abilities. This takes a reality check and a little dose of humility. What you can do when you are in your 20s is different than when you are in your 40s and had skipped exercising in your 30s. Personally, I shouldn't set my goals as fast as I did in college. I need to remind myself that I am in my second career of running. As my college coach use to ask before we would run a road race, "How many miles are you running per week?" and "What is your pace?" or "How fast are your intervals?" This is a good indicator on your race ahead of you.

b) Assess your stage of life. What you can do when you are single is different than when you are marriage with a child or two. It should be. Your time should be given to your family before running. Ask, "What are my responsibilities? As a husband or wife? As a dad or mom? As an employee? As a church member?"

c) Implementing your goals. As you make goals, you need to think practically, "how will they be played out?" Some of the questions in regards to running are:

How many days can I run per week?
How much time does running take out of my day?
When can I run?
Where can I run?
If I need showers, do I have a place to clean up?
What time should I run?

The last thing is to write them down along with a training schedule which is what we will look at next time.

to be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...