12.22.2009

InnerMission Girls' Night

By:Mandy

I had the joy a few weekends ago to attend our first STUDENT-LED gathering for the gals in our youth group. Two high-school senior girls, Kelsie and Magee, planned a great sleep-over encouraging the younger women to think about their identity in Christ. It's no secret most women young and old struggle with the conflicting pressures of the world to be promiscuous, aggressive, and to look like the latest airbrushed model on the cover of a magazine.

In the midst of facials and several fun games, we discussed what it means to be beautiful to God. We looked at the woman described in Proverbs 31. Her beauty stems from her fear of the Lord. We also encouraged these young women (and I was encouraged as well!) to remember that Jesus covers ALL our inadequacies and insecurities. We can strive to be like the perfect godly woman described in Scripture, but we will always fall short. Jesus picks us up when we fall and whispers to us, "you are beautiful...you are my beloved...I bought you with a price."

We also must work toward what God has outlined in Scripture in God's strength. When our identity and destiny are secure in Christ (aka: we are justified by faith alone and not by works) we are free to let that beauty shine before the world.

I pray these young women do just that.
I pray they would know that if they are in Christ, they are secure and beautiful. I pray also that just like Kelsie and Magee they would take the command in Titus 2 seriously that calls older women (even HS seniors) to teach and minister to younger women...and do so in the freedom they have in Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...