11.17.2014

Picture of the Week: Guest Room

In high school we used to joke that you were truly grown up when you went to eat a restaurant by yourself.

In college, we changed it to going to the movies alone. (I never did this one. Kinda creepers right?)

Now that I am actually a real-life grown-up, I still have to be reminded of it. Thirty-three used to seem to old and off in the distance. Here I am. Thirty-three, wife, mother, and hostess.

Yep. I think [at least one of] the big "grown-up" hurdles is hosting a guest. For eighteen (and more) years I was a part and then a guest in my parents' home. I have had my own home for a while, but maybe it just takes time for things to hit me. I have my own home. I am the hostess. I better wash these pillow cases....

I thought of this tonight while I made up our little futon for an incoming guest. We've never met him; much like the woman we hosted last week. It's not all that common, but more common here than I had thought.

So, new rule: tidying up your husband's office, putting out clean towels, clearing the princess figurines and fluffing pillows for a guest certainly puts a badge on my grown-up-ness. Oh, and I will go to the movies by myself...whenever my children let me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...