8.20.2013

Second World Problems

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but I like not having fitted sheets (basically impossible to find here), because in my "old life" I really hated folding them. I didn't like loosing pink princess socks in them. I didn't like how they stacked weird in my linen closet. And I certainly didn't like fighting with them to go over my mattress when I made the bed.

This thought occurred to me yesterday while I was folding Molly's sheets (fitted...brought from the States). I was genuinely grateful, ok with one of the thousands of small things we do without.

I'm happy we can't find ricotta cheese here because paneer (a local cheese) makes much better lasagna. Which by the way, you can find lasagna noodles here, but they are very expensive. So I make my own; and that's definitely better. I like the inconvenience of walking to the store nearly every day and the unavailability of easy snacks. Ok, that's a lie. I am frustrated by it. But, big picture, I'm losing weight, getting my kids outside for a neighborhood adventure, getting to know people and eating many more bananas (which has to be a good thing right?).

I like not being able to find chocolate chips, marshmallows or magazines because when you share your care packages wares with your American friends they are even more grateful. Rice Krispy treats are a big deal.

I like going to the roof to hang out my clothes. I get to meet my neighbors. I like not having a Target or Walmart. I get to know the "light bulb shop", the "fruit stand", the "contact lens solution store", the "Brian's deodorant store", and the "place to get hot dogs"...which is different than the "place to get hot dog buns".

I am not always making lemonade out of lemons (which by the way, are extremely small here and are more like limes...), but these problems, this lack, these inconveniences are coated in grace. So I fold laundry and I am thankful. I make supper and I rejoice. I pray God would continue to show Himself to me in the mundane...cheese, walks, and sheets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...