7.23.2013

Picture of the Week: Something Like Lilacs

Here's a Mandy factoid: my favorite flowers are lilacs. I love them. I love the smell, the tiny bunches of flowers. I carried white ones on my wedding day. I planted pink and lavender ones in our yard in Cartersville. I feel nostalgic thinking of the huge bushes outside the first home I can remember, on a military base in Minot, ND. That bush was where the Easter eggs were hidden, where my sister and I played "store" and where I once attempted to dig a hole to China (I got about 18 inches).

Here in the tropics we are surrounded by amazing flowers...beautiful colors and intricate designs. And they are everywhere. I'm serious...there are even government workers who go around each morning and sweep up flower petals from the sidewalks. Alas, though, no lilacs.

Imagine my joy when I was loading (another!!) load of laundry in the washer and I spotted these little beauties on my neighbors awning. There are not lilacs, but they reminded me of them. And that reminded me of God's grace and how He generously gives us so many things to bring us joy even when it's not quite home.

Do you think my neighbors would let me play "store" under their tree?

1 comment:

  1. So pretty...God sent his "garden angel" (as you used to think it was called...versus "guardian angel") to give you some Indian "lilacs". Love you my sweet Mandy. And I think your neighbors will gladly let you play store down there...just make them some of your wonderful cookies! Or roast them a marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...