7.19.2013

An open letter to some friends

We got a huge surprise this week. A friend flew through our city on his way to work in other parts of the country. He brought a 50 pound bag of goodies, a surprise, from so many of our friends. Here's what I emailed to them.

To Jonathan and Jennifer, Daniel and Greta, John and Andrea, Jeff and Jen, Chris and Sarah, Ben and Erika, Tommy and Stacey, Larry and Ruth, Tim and Becky, Brent and Melissa, Zack and Tennyson, Micah and Lisa, Billy and Rebekkah (and all the respective kids!),

THANK YOU.

Jim delivered our surprise suitcase yesterday. We were just stunned. I still am. Lydia has gobs of princess stuff and craft supplies and homeschooling material and new coloring books! Thank you. I put some of it away so we can bring it out in stages (she was a bit overwhelmed). You know here all the coloring books are actually already printed in color. It’s a very weird phenomenon. Coloring books that you can’t really color in. She wore her apron today helping me make desserts for our team meeting. She told Molly about the Cheerios so many times I think that may be Molly’s first word. I have started a baking drawer in our kitchen full of the much appreciated cocoa, choc chips, brown sugar, etc. Brian, I think, wants to build something just to use his new gloves!

We look forward to hanging our beautiful Greta-original works of art. Wow! Sarah: I thought it was a little weird that you sent a 31 catalogue, but then I read the note on the back! Thank you! All the packing in Ziplocs and Tupperware…you wouldn’t think that would matter so much, but I am just beaming at all the new storage we have for our food! (I will still wash and reuse the Ziplocs…till they die but it is good to know I have many!) We had grits this morning. Even let Jim eat some. J

A family on our team is away this week. I will cook them mac and cheese (they have two small boys) when they return. You guys are ministering to our team. I plan on making cookies to deliver to our neighbors very soon. You guys are helping us reach our neighbors. (Here, delivering goodies always ends up with getting invited to tea, to discuss religion, to start a relationship…no kidding, we have already been invited to a wedding, to a movie night, to discussions on personal stuff.) Brownies, choc chips…well, let’s just say you are making me a better helpmate for my sweet husband!

All those little coloring books and stickers and perfect for attending churches in different languages without childcare. Thank you for helping Lydia adjust to this new (long, church service….) life. Molly will have something fun for her birthday (August 2!!) dessert…brownies? Cookies? Something with brown sugar!!!? She will be happy I’m sure, but also we are going to “use” her birthday to invite our neighbors. First birthdays are really big here (like weddings) so this will be a great way to open our home. And while a cake mix doesn’t seem all that spiritual or exciting, you have made it easier for me to be a good hostess, not stressed out mommy! Thank you (from Molly…the little evangelist!) J

We love the kids’ drawings. I can’t believe they can all do that well. I’m just seeing Lydia make people (big head, little sticks coming out of them for limbs, etc) and I look at your kids’ artwork and just get excited for my girls to be able to grow in their little expressions of art and I feel so at home with their sweet drawings on the wall.

In short, we feel incredibly loved. We are overwhelmed. I just want to be able to convey how much this stuff means to us, but more…how much you mean to us. We are very very blessed to have such friends alongside us on this journey. It is hard to live without a car, a/c, brown sugar, a crockpot, good crayons…but as I was thinking last night as I fell asleep…it is extremely hard to live away from you, our church, our friends. That’s my culture shock. It truly is. We are making new friends, We are loving our work. We are sure and firm and joyful in this calling. It is a hard calling though. And a giant suitcase of stuff has been divided up in my cabinets and when all of it runs out, it will still be a reminder in our hearts of love and partnership we have with you all. Life with you is half as hard and twice as good.

Much love and much gratitude,

Mandy (for the Stock Household)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...