5.18.2013

Picture of the Week: Marked

Yes, there is marker on Lydia's forehead. She was coloring our latest craft and as I put away the glue stick and scissors.... "Lydia! No! You shouldn't color on your forehead!"

"Mommy, lots of other people out there [she pointed out the window] have marks on their foreheads. Why can't I?"

So, my crafty preschooler wasn't being snarky. She was being culturally observant. Yes, lots of people "out there" do have marks on their foreheads. I explained to Lydia that these marks were signs of devotion to pretend gods. Most of the time, they are dots of powdered dye placed on the head after one visits the temple...a blessing of sorts. We hadn't talked about it before, but it's hard to miss. Most people here have these marks.

As I scrubbed the marker off her forehead I shared about what Christ has done. He marks us as His but not on our foreheads with dye or washable marker. He marks our hearts with His blood and name. I appreciate her desire to be like our neighbors, but maybe we'll stick to saris! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you aren't in the Congo or somewhere where the locals have giant hoops in their lips.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...