8.16.2010

Lydia: Seven Months

Seven months! Lydia is growing and learning so many new things. She is truly a joy to be with, making us smile and laugh...and act quite silly in public sometimes.

No official measurements this month since we won't return to the doctor until October. We can just guess her weight is around 16 pounds, although Brian tried to weigh her on the produce scale at Walmart this weekend.

New skills include rolling over (see the EPIC video Daddy made of this historic event). She now rolls to her belly to sleep and often when she is playing. Rolling back over is a little rough and she usually cries to be flipped when she tires of tummy-time. She is attempting to crawl, but is still figuring it all out.

She can ALMOST sit up. We barricade her with pillows and make sure she doesn't face-plant (too much). Brian likes to put her in "training" for a few minutes a day. He is convinced she will earn the "I can sit up" sticker within the week.

Teeth (well, one so far) have also started to appear. After months of drooling and chewing on anything she can get her hands on, we finally see a little tooth peeking out on the bottom gum. Thanks to Nana for the "Bonjella" (British "orajel") imported just for Lydia since my mom swears it's better than the American version.

She has also started solid food this month. We are feeding her at least two meals a day but haven't worked into any consistent schedule. She has enjoyed a varied menu of vegetables, fruit, yogurt and oatmeal. We are making our own baby food and having fun experimenting with different entrees (squash, peas, and oatmeal anyone?). Diapers are also much different with the introduction of solids (read: lots of fiber!). This is where the cloth-diaper-decision gets serious. Thankfully, before making that decision I discovered a little gem called "diaper liners", flushable liners for when your kiddo starts solids. It saves me from the whole rinse-and-dunk in the toilet technique. I know, you may be thinking this is cheating or really not cost-effective. I can get 100 liners for about $7 and only use them when I think she is going to well, need them. Brian and I agree...they are worth it!

And speaking of worth it, this whole baby-thing...the diapers, feeding, wiping off faces, bathing, changing, rocking, carrying, kissing...it's definitely worth it. What an absolute joy to spend all this time with our adorable daughter created in the image of our wondrous God. It's been an amazing 7 months.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable pictures, humorous and poignant writing, and giving credit to the Nana where the credit is due (for the bonjela)...but really it all boils down to this: God has truly blessed ME with the gift of LIFE, Life In Full Effect (Beckah Shae's new song), as in John 10:10, "the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." Well, I am truly blessed--God has blessed me by not only by sending His Son to save me though I do NOT deserve it, not one little bit. He went on to pile on even MORE blessings--you three are three of my biggest blessings and joys in this life. If you only knew how much you mean to me, how much joy you bring to my heart. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...