5.24.2010

Religion vs. The Gospel

Luke 18:9-14

He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Religion says that God will not love me until I follow and obey His rules enough to earn His love.

The simply equation for religion is "I do this and God will accept me". Religion is law-based acceptance or works-based acceptance. This way of living consist in memorizing all of God's commandments and striving with all your will-power to do those commandments. It is "I obey--therefore I am accepted by God." It is as if I would say to Mandy, "Sweetie, if you clean the house, wash all my clothes, and make two meals a day for me, then and only then, will I love you for a year." Furthermore, "if you stop working for me, I will stop loving you." Life is based on a "moral-performance" narrative as Tim Keller would say. This is the "Pharisees" in the Bible and in all of us. Church people are the worst at this. Life is based on your moral conformity: bible reading time, attending church, helping others, praying, how you treat your spouse, kids, and others, accomplishing your goals, etc... This was especially true for my life for the first seven or so years of my Christian walk. I understood that Christ died for my sins, but I thought I had to morally perform to keep His love. I didn't understand that Christ wanted my moral, good things. My righteous actions must die (repentance) as well for His acceptance (see Phil. 3:1-8).

Many times those who reject Christ and Christianity when the Gospel is presented to them, do not reject true, Gospel Christianity, but a "moral-performance" presentation of Christianity presented by a Christian who struggles with a burden of righteousness on his back.

The Gospel

The Gospel is worlds apart from religion. The Gospel states, for those who trust Christ, "they are 100% accepted by God through the work of Christ--therefore I obey." It is a "grace-based identity" narrative. Your identity and worth is found fully and firmly in Christ alone. In this narrative, you pursue life with joy and freedom. It is "I am loved by God in Christ; therefore, I am free to love Him and others." Living in the Gospel of Christ, you are open to your weaknesses and repent of your sins since God is for you, not against you. In Christ, you won't find a sin in your heart or life in which He can not nor has not forgive you. You are also open to boldly pursue the path of godliness in your life humbly by the grace of God. Your pleasure is the Father's delight not pleasing Him to love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...