5.10.2010

Religion vs. The Gospel

Luke 18:9-14
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Religion is about dividing the GOOD people from the BAD people. Religion says the world is filled with two types of people: "good" people and "bad" people. Religious people set out their list of rules and laws which all must follow and be weighted by. Then, they judge how well you do to see if you are acceptable or "good". If you are "good" according to their list, you will be liked and accepted. You are in the "in crowd". On a side note, don't read this and assume I mean "good" as "you don't drink, smoke, and hang out with the girls that do" mentality. Sometimes, it is the exact opposite. The "good" on the religious list is that "you do drink, smoke, and hang out with the girls that do." The reality is that most irreligious people are very religious in their ways.

The list of rules is always self selective and overly convenient to those who make up the list. This is their line of thinking: Since I don't struggle with "this sin", it must be "really" bad and therefore, whoever struggles with "this sin" must be "really bad". And, I must be better than them. Or, the list could be based the color of skin, heritage, sex, etc... which leads into racism or classism. This is how "religion" defines the world. The Pharisees did this, "I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector."

The Gospel
The Gospel divides also but very differently. The Gospel assumes we are all bad expect Jesus. We are all messed up, broken, self-centered, self-self-indulging idolater. We all commit the sins of religion: self-righteousness, pride, and judgmentalism. We all have committed sins of irreligion: drunkenness, lust, sexual immortality, hatred, and murder. These lists could go on and on. The point is that we are all bad in thought, word, and deed and the difference is whether one is repentant or unrepentant. The repentant is like the tax-collector, "But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'" He cry out for mercy not based on his works or anything in himself, but trusted something in God, namely, His mercy in Christ.

How do you see the people around you? GOOD vs. bad? Or, all are broken and need a Savior? Do you live a life of repentance of sin and dependence on God's mercy in Christ? As Martin Luther said, "the whole life of believers should be repentance" (Article I, 95 Theses). I pray that God will grant me His Gospel way of living and may I continue to repent of my sins and trust in Christ as Savior.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...