9.24.2009

Hearts Wide Open: Devotional Thought from 2 Cor 6:11-13

By: Mandy
These verses caught my eye...and heart the other day. Paul, addressing the church at Corinth, says "We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open. You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also."
Paul and his "ministry team" as it were have spent long hard hours and effort pouring themselves into the lives of the Corinthians. They have given time, money, service, and not to mention the letters of 1st and 2nd Corinthians! I wonder if the Corinthians were complaining much like us: "I could grow so much more if Paul was just more compassionate." "Why doesn't he preach as good as sermons as Apollos?" "I just can't get into the worship at this church...we need a new cymbal player like the Macedonians have."
I find myself comparing my preacher and church leaders to just about everyone else, especially the "famous" preachers and worship leaders. I put together pieces of so many different ministries and expect Christ Community Church of Kennesaw, GA to be the perfect image of my creation. I blame my lack of spiritual growth (or boredom at church, wandering thoughts, lack of motivation to serve, etc) on these "failings". I wonder if instead I may be just like the Corinthians, "restricted in [my] own affections." If I am not a conduit (note: not consumer only) of grace (see 6:1) then my heart is closed to be ministered to no matter how spectacular the sermon is, how empathetic the elders are, how profound the music is, or beautiful the church building.
I am like a Corinthian...I am like a child...I suspect many of us are. We need to open our hearts to what God is giving us through our church. This is the only way we can savor Jesus more fully and serve His people with His grace.

1 comment:

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...