7.10.2012

Mommy Thoughts (Part One Million or so)

As a mom, I worry about how I'm doing...as a mom.

Is my daughter (soon to be daughters!) too sensitive, too clingy, not adventurous enough, whiny, moralistic, etc? Worse, is it because of me? Did I parent her in such a way that leads her to be ....well, not perfect?

Last night, Brian and I were talking about Lydia, parenting and independence. [By the way, all our parenting conversations start with the realization that Lydia is so good, loved and surprisingly well-rounded]. Am I indulging her too much? Or am I being too harsh...expecting her to act like an adult? You see, my fear is that my sweet, introvert, sensitive girl (whom I am very very far from understanding) is not independent enough. Maybe she's a bit too clingy. Maybe I'm setting myself up for a huge breakdown (or a series of many) when her little sister comes and steals much of Mommy's attention, time and her spotlight.

But leave it to my sweet, introvert, sensitive husband (whom I am very very far from understanding) to lead with love and speak truth. "Independent? She's two."
"And maybe she is a little clingy...but she likes you. Isn't that a good thing?"

I suppose so. Yeah, I really think so. I do want to teach her to be independent, responsible, clear-headed, adventurous and wise. I don't want her to think that she is the center of the universe. But, I don't think you do that by showing her that I am.

God give me grace. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...