3.03.2012

Books for February 2012

Revolution in World Missions by K. P. Yohannan
Awhile ago, I was given this book and have been eager ever since to read it. The book tracts the author's story on how his ministry, Gospel for Asia, was started. In this sense, it is an autobiography work and reads quick and enjoyable. Gospel for Asia is doing great work raising up native missionaries and sending them out all over South Asia. Their focus on preaching the Gospel to a lost and dying world was refreshing to hear. However, overall, the best word for author's methodology for missions in this book is unbalanced. For example, the author is thankful for the Western missionaries were sent to parts of Asia and began great works, but now that the church has been born, he strongly urges no Western missionaries to come and let the native Christians to do the work, but we need Western money so send that over. Or, the author stands vehemently against the Western church's big church buildings and material possessions, yet he feeds upon the church's wealth to support his ministry. This is unbiblical and unbalanced.  I give the 6 out of 10 stars.


Leaders who Last by Dave Kraft
Paul writes at the end of his ministry, "I have fought the fight, I have kept the faith, and I have finished the race" Most leaders today cannot say this at the end of their ministry for only 30% of ministry leaders who begin last to the end. As I am entering into ministry, I want to be one of those 30% if the Lord's allows. This drew me to read this book. The best gift the author gives is the title of the book. The book is a combination of some Bible verses and business principles. I felt that there could have been so much more from the author as he has been in the ministry for over 40 years. To give Kraft the benefit of the doubt, this was his first book he had written. I think if I knew Dave and learned from him in person (rather than reading this book), I would have bought more into the meat of his methodology for being a leader. I give the book 5 out of 10 stars.

The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbs
A best seller in its time (1600s), The Bruised Reed offers sweet grace to a weary and sin-bruised soul reminding me "that there is more mercy in Christ than sin in us". It is hard to capture Sibbs' exposition of grace from Isaiah 42:1-3 in any brief way. Full of vivid imagery coupled with solid, Biblical truth for the mind and "sweet inducements and divine encouragements" for the affections comforted my soul. The language is dated making it harder to understand, but worth it. I foresee re-reading Sibbs' work again and again. I give the book 9 out of 10 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...