8.02.2016

Small (open) Hands: Crafts to Masala Chana

You might have been a part of this.

Lydia and Molly's "store" was traveling, ever-growing, and relentlessly-marketed by girls hard to say no to.

They made crayons, bead necklaces, intricate (and sometimes not-so-intricate) drawings, pot holders and binder clips. Basically, anything you needed.

Lydia and Molly decided these crafts would be for sale. They came to me with several petitions. Here's their final accepted proposal:
 1. They could not set the prices. Patrons could pay what they want. ("But, if someone offers like a nickel on my pot holder, I might wait a little bit until they give at least a dollar. I mean, I worked really hard on this Mommy.")
 2. All the money was to go to "poor people in India."

I was OK with my children badgering friends, house guests and total strangers for money as long as they stuck to the original covenant. They wholeheartedly did. In the end, they raised over $80. And what plans they had for this money! Half went straight to our friend Neetu who does a school program for children in the slums. She bought notebooks for 100 children.

The other half was spent on food for beggars. We encounter beggars daily. We try to keep bags of rice or non-perishable snacks in the car and stroller to hand out. It's amazing what $40 can buy in a country with so many foods packaged in 10 rupee (15 cents) bags. Here they are ready to pack individual bags of oatmeal, chips, rice and chana (chick peas) into our car and stroller boxes. The girls love handing food out and saying "God bless you" to the poor.

What a joy to see their hard work become a blessing to our community. Oh, let me be so generous as these little hearts and open as these small hands!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this story! It warmed my heart to think of your girls being used to care and provide for the children on the street. It was a very emotional reminder of a young lady I met while I was in India. Praying for you all as you care and share and especially for those you are serving.

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...