3.02.2016

Swans are "Bad Guys" (and other things we learned in Mississippi)

It seems like everyone knows geese will hiss at you or maybe even give you a little nip on the arm if you get too close. But I have never known a swan to wrestle a six-year-old.

Two swans had come to the edge of the lake. I thought, what a perfect opportunity to go up and see them. My three girls and our hostess Becky walked up to these beautiful birds. By the way, swans are HUGE. Just a side note. We were a generous 10 feet away when out lunged one of the swans! He grabbed Lydia's t-shirt and (I'm not kidding) would not let go. Lydia, of course, screams and falls to the ground while the relentless swan beats his wings. Whilst holding Isabella (also screaming) and securing Molly (also screaming) I begin to kick the swan. Yes, I kicked the swan...hard. But I swear that bird did not care. He's just holding and flapping and my poor little Lydia is understandably freaked out. Finally, (probably about 5 seconds into this ordeal) Becky...sweet, grandma of five, gentile Southern Becky...grabs the swan's neck and wrestles it to the ground (again, not kidding). She pries him loose, rolls to the grass and the swan swims away. 

Lydia has some serious bruising on her legs and wounded feelings about swans in general. This is the same girl who had a juice box stolen from her hand by a monkey. She continues to LOVE animals, but I'm a little anxious about the petting zoo. 

Other things we learned in Mississippi this past week:
1. A gift is called a "happy". We received a "happy" of BBQ sauce and gave a "happy" as a hostess gift. I like it. Made me happy.
2. Mississippi has a funny and catchy state song. Google it. 
3. Roads are bad. Food is good. I'm willing to drive to the restaurants. I think that shows my economy of the situation. 
4. Mississipians make fun of Louisiana. Like Georgians make fun of Alabama. But we all know we are all just Southerners. 
5. Famous pottery made from MS mud is coveted...but genuinely cool. The Georgia red clay market is wide open as far as I'm concerned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...