6.16.2015

Picture of the Week: Asian Molly

I like to think that my girls are seeing themselves as not so different than the people around them. It's still strange to my ears to hear Lydia or Molly refer to this place as "home". America is a place we visit. It's a place with Grandma, Chick-fil-a and dreams of riding bikes on smooth streets. But they don't have dosas or mangoes. This is home. For now.

So you can see where I'm going with this: The Magic School Bus, exactly. We have this book, "The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten". A magical story of food chains and how you can connect green pond scum to a tuna sandwich...get on board and let's find out! Ok, the story is not important for this post. It's the pictures. Molly...my blond-hair blue-eyed Molly, loves to point herself out as one of the characters in any story we read.

In this story she is the fifth kid behind Ms. Frizzle. That little girl in the pink wetsuit. On every page, she will find that girl and point her out, "That's me!".

Notice the girl two kids behind "Molly"...the one who looks like my Molly.
"No, Mommy. That's not me."

Who am I to argue about the self-perception of a two-year-old who's lived most of her life in Asia?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...