4.13.2013

Picture of the Week: Vegetable "Soup"

Life here has it's oddities and inconveniences. We live in a large city and the grocery stores carry a good bit of what I need (for instance, just found oreos...and yes, I needed them). There are American restaurants, air-conditioned buildings and coffee shops. Nothing to complain about really, but despite all this there are a thousand little things to adjust to. A thousand little reminders that I am in a very different place (like the herd of goats I saw walking down the street just a minute ago). And here I go adjusting.

In case you were wondering, this is bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, little red onions
and avocados (yes, I found them here!) 
For instance, produce. Because of the unsanitary conditions, when one buys fresh fruit of vegetables one must soak them in a purified water and bleach solution for 20 minutes, then again in purified water for another 20 minutes. Then, enjoy! Not that bad right? Try to forget about the trace amounts of bleach you are ingesting. And I suppose I will get used to this little system, a few extra steps in dinner prep. Adjusting, yes here I go.

1 comment:

  1. Bleach, oh dear! Is vinegar available over there? A vinegar/water solution is a great (and possibly safer) antimicrobial!

    ReplyDelete

I Feel Like Someone is Sitting on My Head. And They Might Be.

How is having a head cold like sleeping next to a child? I'm not overly prone to sickness nor do I often co-sleep with my three beaut...